Friday, March 27, 2015

               I found the first section of this week’s reading very confusing. While I find myself fairly proficient with using technology, I have a difficult time understanding how it works. The biggest question I have is; what is the difference between MIDI and Digital Audio? In my mind, I see them as devices used to compose, record, and playback music. I don’t understand what makes one different from the other. Is it the method of input? Is it the type of program used? Are they drastically different from one another?
                In contrast, the portion of the reading that focused on composition was very enlightening. Bauer did a nice job at explaining the pedagogy to composition as well as to composition using technology. The twelve interactions between student-composer and the teacher lay out the ideal qualities we would like to instill within our students. Bauer has listed these strategies (pp. 61-62), and each of them helps to develop multiple ways of thinking and problem solving. The following three strategies were the three I feel are the most influential.
                8. Prompt the students to engage in self-analysis.
                9. Encourage goal setting and task identification.
                10. Engage in joint problem finding and problem solving.

These three strategies are enabling and teaching students to become self-sufficient. This not only works in composition, but in all areas of education. A well-rounded education can be achieved using these types of strategies.

                While using music composition software can be helpful, it can also be detrimental to a student’s musical education if not used correctly. It’s not enough that students can write notes down on paper, they need to be able to expect what they want to hear in their mind (audiate) before it is written down (Bauer, p. 66). Bauer presents icon-based software that can be used for students, particularly younger students, who may not be fluent in reading music notation yet (p. 64). I see this type of software being useful in my class to help support the development of my students’ ability to audiate music and develop an expectation of what they want to hear. It also fuels the ability to reason and justify why specific choices were made in composition. Not only do these programs make composing more accessible for children, it can also take away some of the anxiety that teachers may have had about teaching students to compose. These programs present composing in a fun and simple way to promote student creativity and individuality.

2 comments:

  1. Chris, I found myself relating to your post at each point! I have been working in a technology center for the last 2 years and although I have gained a lot more confidence in my use of technology, that confidence was kind of flattened as I read what I felt was very technical jargon relating to how DAWS work. On the other hand, I very much agree with your discussion about having technology enhance a student's ability to compose without having to have a comprehensive knowledge of notation. I mentioned in my blog this week about the analogy I was given in my instrumental techniques class about the audiation before notation argument. We don't expect children to read a book before they can speak the language, so why do we expect students to read music before they can hear it. Many of the tools we were able to work with this week could really enhance a music classroom in providing audiation before notation curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The technicalities were also a bit confusing for me. From what I understand, MIDI is the language, or a set of instructions, that sends information between the device and the computer's sound card. The MIDI file tells the computer which sound to produce and how to produce it. I believe that music should be composed with a working foundation of music theory first. Even when composing "pop" songs, a foundation in music theory is so beneficial. In addition, I feel that audiation helps transfer musical ideas into notation. On the flip side, I also see the benefit of students being able to go into a mixing program and just play around with certain sounds. There's a certain level of free creativity that I think students need. I would make sure that the students had knowledge of general musical principles before giving them free reign in a program like Soundation or GarageBand, though.

    ReplyDelete